Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Angela McAndrew

Abandoned Greenhouse


Without the element of intimacy and uniqueness found in ‘left over
spaces’, cities globally would lose their character and become
homogenous without the trace of human interaction[1]

My practice demonstrates an awareness of ‘left over spaces’ that surrounds us everywhere but are easily by-passed. My concept of ‘left over spaces’ are spaces which are unplanned, transitional and in-between or that has been left through circumstances. These spaces hold our imagination and allow one to dream. Writers that describe space poetically inform my practice, such as Gaston Bachelard, Poetics of Space. I am interested in how one comes to know their surroundings through the layering of time, history and space and I have a particular interest in spaces that are left to their own devices where nature reclaims.


[1] Thesis Statement, 2009



http://angimcandrew.wordpress.com/